Swim Program Coming 2016
The new facility will house two pools. Both will be four feet deep with a warm water temperature of 89 degrees; the air temperature will be 92 degrees. The pools will have large windows with a view of the lake and wooded area, as well as large viewing windows from the lobby to the pool. Entry will be through the existing entrance, with new access doors to the pool area through the existing lobby.
One pool will be 25’ x 15’ and will be for the parent/tot classes. A crawling bench will be on the edge of the pool where water will be at babies’ elbow level. This pool will be in an area where there will be fewer distractions for the small students.
The other pool is much larger – 25’ x 50’. Lanes will be set up as teaching stations to accommodate multiple classes. Seating benches will be available.
The dressing room will be co-ed, but with locking privacy doors. The ambiance is designed with families in mind.
• Pre-registration is anticipated to begin in April.
• Classes are planned for morning, after lunch, after school, and Saturdays, and will be 30 minutes in length.
• Parent /tot classes (six months to 36 months) are designed to teach children basic skills, such as floating and breath control, while simultaneously teaching their parents how to be comfortable and safe in the water.
• Teaching ratio is 4:1 for most classes; parent/tots ratio is 6:1.
• In addition to Aquatics Director Mike Wood, Salem plans to hire several swim instructors.
• Salem Swim’s focus is entirely on learn-to- swim, with no teams.
According to today.com, approximately ten people drown each day in the US. It is estimated that 54% of Americans cannot swim well enough to save themselves. “75% of our planet is water – can you swim?” (Author unknown) Swimming is an important skill that many need to learn!
Visit our Learn-To-Swim Program page for more information!