Salem Swim Class Policies
Welcome to Salem Gymnastics & Swim! Our goal is to offer the finest children’s programming in the area and make your child’s time at Salem be the highlight of their growing years!
- Please arrive at Salem 15 minutes prior to the start of class. Report to the check-in station to have your child marked present in the roll and to pick up their colored card. Card colors correspond to teaching stations, so please help your child know which teacher to look for.
- All students should be present and dressed for class 5 minutes prior to the start of their swimming class, near the door to the left of the viewing windows in the lobby. If you arrive after class has started, please have a staff person escort your child to their class.
- Parents – please remain in the lobby as your child enters the pool area. Students are escorted to their colored dot to wait for their instructor with a Deck Supervisor watching these students as they wait.
- Please have your child use the restroom before class! The warm water can make it difficult to hold in a poop. In addition, please do not bring your child to class if he/she has had diarrhea within the past two days.
- Changing facilities and restrooms are located through the door to the right of the swim viewing windows.
- Please do not leave anything in the changing areas. Please keep all your belongings with you. Baby and Me parents are welcome to use the on deck cubbies by the small pool for your belongings.
- No open food or beverages in the locker room.
- Additional restrooms are located down the hall to the right as you enter Salem.
- Cubbies are located in the lobby for your convenience; however we are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Parent/Tots may use the cubbies on deck. Parents will accompany their children in the pool during Parent/Tot classes.
- Showers are located on the pool deck. Students may use the showers before and/or after their class, and parents may assist if necessary.
- No shoes are allowed on the pool deck.
ATTIRE & DIAPERS
- Students and parents are asked to please wear modest swimsuits to class.
- All children under 36 months and all older children who have not been potty trained at least 6 months must wear two swim diapers to class:
- a disposable swim diaper (Little Swimmer or other) and
- an approved cloth swim diaper with tight fitting elastic legs and waist
The cloth swim diaper must pass the “two-finger test”. If two fingers can be inserted under the elastic in the legs and waist, the swim diaper is too large and the child will not be permitted to enter the water. Both types of diapers are available for sale in our Front Office.
- Students are welcome to bring their own goggles. Please note that sometimes goggles are not used in class when we are teaching the important safety skill of being able to open one’s eyes underwater in any situation. Also, goggles will be removed if they become distracting.
We understand that some students love to use goggles, but they can easily waste valuable minutes with adjustments and re-fittings. For this reason, we will no longer be providing goggles, and ask that if your child chooses to wear them, they be pre-adjusted before class.
If a student keeps taking their goggles off, we will ask them to finish class without their goggles. Please note that sometimes in class that we will perform safety skills without any goggles allowed, which empowers students to not panic if they ever fall into the water without goggles on.
- Long hair must be pulled up or tucked into a swim cap. Swim caps are available for purchase at Salem Swim.
It is very uncomfortable to have wet hair constantly in your face when you turn to take a breath. Using goggles alone does not keep hair out of your nose and mouth – even short hair can be a problem if not pulled back. Please pull your students hair up before class begins.
- You may view your child’s class through the glass windows, or look on the closed circuit televisions to see the action!
- Baby & Me parents may bring an additional parent or grandparent to the poolside benches, ready to assist with baby when class is over. We ask that you please stay seated on the bench and do not distract the class.
- As class is ending, please go into the locker room at the far end of lobby and wait there for your student to be delivered to you. You may then come out onto the pool deck to rinse your child off in the shower if you wish. We appreciate your patience and understanding to make this a safe and efficient process.
- All students must be in dry clothing before re-entering the Front Lobby.
- Parents must supervise their children before and after their swimming class.
- PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOUR CHILD TO ENTER THE POOL UNTIL THE INSTRUCTOR IS READY TO BEGIN THEIR CLASS. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO RE-ENTER AFTER THEIR CLASS HAS ENDED.
- All preschool aged students must have an adult stay in the building.
- Children are not allowed outside the building without adult supervision.
The best way for your child to learn is through consistency, attending class on a regular basis with the same instructor and classmates. However we recognize that children do get sick and we do not want their illness in the pool! For this reason, we offer swim make-up lessons on a limited basis.
- Make ups are limited to one per month, per class. If you are enrolled in two classes per week you may have one make-up for each class.
- They must be taken within 30 days of your missed class after a class is missed, not before the fact. You may make up your missed class in any other class that is the same level, provided there are openings available.
- If there is not an opening available, then unfortunately a make-up lesson is not available.
- Make-ups are not offered for gymnastics classes.
- Make-up classes are not guaranteed. We do not adjust tuition for missed classes, and make ups cannot be taken after a student is dropped from the program.
To schedule a make-up, please look online to find a class with an opening that you would like to make-up in. Call the Front Office to schedule your make-up no more than 24 hours in advance.
- No jewelry or gum is allowed. We are not responsible for any items left in the gym, however we do have a Lost and Found.
- NO GUM, SMOKING, OR PETS ALLOWED INSIDE THE BUILDING.
If, at any time, you have questions regarding our policies please get in touch with us so we can address your specific questions.